[Mailman-Users] does mailman ever automatically delete an expired email address?

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Thu Mar 10 18:00:59 CET 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Jane Frizzell wrote:

> Hello
> Does mailman ever delete members from lists automatically for any reason? One
> of the owners of one of our lists (only 1 list seems to have been affected)
> recently reported that he had lost 100 users from his list. They were
> removed, not just marked as nomail. A primary look at some of the names lost.
> show that the addresses were no longer valid email addresses.

Yes, Mailman's bounce processing will do so. The specifics as to how
many bounces and how long to wait before removing the user can be set by
the list administrator. I believe bounce processing is on by default.

This is, in general, a good thing as excessive sending to dead addresses
is a good way to get yourself on some of the anti-spam blacklists.

-- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com