[Mailman-Users] python 3 and mailman 2.1.12

Hal Huntley hal at saturn.sri.com
Fri Mar 18 00:23:54 CET 2011

python 3.1 was just installed on a system where I am running mailman 2.1.12.

It seems to have broken the mailman web interface and sending of mail via
mailman lists.

An error from the mailer daemon when sending to one of the lists gives me a
traceback:

==
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/post", line 31, in <module>
    import paths
  File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/paths.py", line 40, in <module>
    s = unicode('OK', 'iso-2022-jp')
NameError: name 'unicode' is not defined
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1
==

I notice in other posts that some versions of python 2 and mailman are not
compatible.  I am guessing the same is true for python 3.  I see on the
python page that 3 is the "shiny new thing".

python 2.3.3 is still on our system, but one of our users wants to
"upgrade".  For mailman 2.1.12 purposes, should I revert to say python 2.7?

Or is 2.1.14 compatible with python 3?

Thanks,

Hal Huntley