[Mailman-Users] Getting Spam from Banned Address

Henry Hartley henry at dotrose.com
Mon May 2 13:50:03 CEST 2011

I have a list that started getting a lot of spam from a particular
address. Most of them get sent to moderation because of "Too many
recipients" and they are easily dealt with.

The address in question was an alternate address for one member and
after speaking with him, we decided it would be OK to take the address
off the list completely. I have done so but continue to receive spam
from that address. The list has generic_nonmember_action set to discard
but the messages continue to come in, although they still mostly go to
moderation rather than the list. But I don't see how they are getting
there. I tried adding the address to discard_these_nonmembers but that,
too, seems to have no effect.

Looking at the header of one of the message, however, and I see that
although they show up as From that single banned address, there are
multiple addresses in the From field. At least one other of the
addresses is a valid list address. I assume that as long as at least one
 From address is valid, mailman will let it through the gate. Is that
right? Should there be some setting to only let in mail with a single
 From address? I can't see any reason to allow multiple From values. Or
possibly a setting that says "all From addresses must be on the list".

Or am I missing something?

--
Henry