[Mailman-Users] per-list personalization without enablingOWNERS_CAN_ENABLE...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed May 4 02:07:41 CEST 2011

William Yardley wrote:

>I am pretty sure I can successfully toggle mlist.personalize with
>Mailman 2.1.9

[...]
>However, I don't get any change in the footers of list messages after
>this, nor do I see any new options available in the "non-digest options"
>page or in the available special strings in msg_footer.

You will not see any personalize settings or documentation of
additional replacements in the web UI because those all depend on
OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION. However, the additional
replacements are:

    user_address - The address of the user, coerced to lower case.
    user_delivered_to - The case-preserved address that the user is
subscribed with.
    user_password - The user's password.
    user_name - The user's full name.
    user_optionsurl - The url to the user's option page.

and if you have set the list's personalize attribute to 1 or 2, and you
include any of those replacements in the list's msg_header or
msg_footer, they should be replaced appropriately in the delivered
messages.

For example, you *could* put the following in msg_footer. This is
*definitely not recommended* because despite the warning, users will
leave this in replies and forwards, but ...

Instant Unsubscribe - Warning! remove this link before replying or
forwarding this message.
<%(user_optionsurl)s?password=%(user_password)s&unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1>