[Mailman-Users] Mailman list sends but doesn't receive mail.

JRC Groups joemailgroups at gmail.com
Sun May 8 08:22:20 CEST 2011

Mark and all members,

Considering the mm_cfg.py file has been edited to display the following:

MTA = 'Postfix'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'domain.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.domain.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['domain.com']
VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

Should I expect to find the name of the server (not the name of the domain)
on any of the e-mail sent by Mailman to subscribers ?

After discussing the case with several people and a little bit of research I
have come across a solution that seems to have prevented the mm_cfg.py from
being edited by Apple's Server Admin application. Changing permissions
didn't work as it was still edited probably by a process running as root. I
tried instead to lock the file using the chflags command and it seems to
have worked. Now, as I make changes to system settings using Apple's Server
Admin application the mm_cfg.py files remains as is and isn't changed back.

The command I used was:

sudo chflags uchg /usr/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py

This has allowed the mm_cfg.py configuration file to remain as above with
the name of the domain associated with Mailman. As it was before, any
changes made in Server Admin would cause the domain name to be replaced with
the computer name 'a.main.private' and this would show on e-mails sent by
Mailman.

Assuming this change will be permanent and the domain name will remain in
the configuration file, should I expect the computer name to show up on any
of the mail sent out to subscribers by Mailman, including the one sent
monthly to remind subscribers about list rules ?

I have received some mail from Mailman that looks as follows: