[Mailman-Users] Postfix & Mailman not playing well together

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 21 07:12:12 CEST 2011

Michael Soh wrote:

>When I e-mail the list, I get a bounce with the following information:
>
>This is the mail system at host hotdog.mikesoh.com.
>
>I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
>be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
>For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
>
>If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
>delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
>                  The mail system
>
><"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/
>mailman post somelist"@mikesoh.com> (expanded from
>   <somelist at lists.mikesoh.com <epicfail at lists.mikesoh.com>>): User unknown
>in virtual alias table
[...]
>The weird part is the command that I've highlighted in green.

Don't assume that your HTML markup will pass through a list's content
filtering.

>For some
>reason, postfix or mailman (I haven't been able to determine which one) is
>appending "@mikesoh.com" to the command.

The problem is that mail to the lists.mikesoh.com domain is delivered
by a relay other than Postfix's 'local' delivery and that relay
doesn't understand 'pipe' delivery so the string
"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post somelist" in the alias is
interpreted as a 'local' address rather than a pipe and thus gets
appended with $mydomain.

When I run the command exactly
>within a terminal, it says no such list exists.  However, if I only run the
>command within the quotes, it runs correctly.

Right, and if Postfix is using the 'local' relay for this domain, it
will run the correct command too.

>I can't seem to figure out why this is.  I've posted my postfix config on a
>pastebin:
>http://paste.ubuntu.com/610641/

If you want someone to actually look at your Postfix configuration,
paste the output from 'postconf -n' rather than the entire 643 line
'postconf' configuration.

>Can anyone offer me a clue?

In addition to the above clues, look in the Postfix log (maillog) to
see what 'relay' is being used for this mail and figure out why it is
what it is rather than 'local'. This may require looking at
transport_maps and/or master.cf.