[Mailman-Users] Detecting mail with multiple From: lines

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon May 23 08:03:39 CEST 2011

Richard Stallman writes:

 > Do you mean to say that the people at CSAIL ought to switch to using
 > SpamAssasin instead of filtering in Mailman?

I don't know anything about CSAIL, so I can't say for that particular
case.  But I've yet to see a *good* reason for doing generic filtering
at the Mailman level, such as "too many From fields" or "header
contains brand name of ED remedy", rather than at the MTA level.  And
if they're already doing both, I recommend installing additional rules
at the MTA level rather than the Mailman level whenever possible.

Of course, some things have to involve Mailman (eg, filtering posts on
list membership).  But even there, the developers consider it a design
bug that Mailman has no way to export its member database to filtering
software at the MTA level (which would make it possible to reject a
post based on the From: nonmember + To: list combination without ever
accepting the mail, among many other potential applications).  This is
being remedied in Mailman 3.