[Mailman-Users] Editing MM-List-Subscription-Msg

Mike Starr mike at writestarr.com
Mon May 23 13:39:13 CEST 2011

Hello,

I recently had someone outside our group visit the group's Mailman page and subscribe to the list. I corrected the setting so that it now requires administrator approval for someone to join the list. Cool... no problem.

However, the text on the Mailman page doesn't make it clear how we limit who we will allow as a member of our list. I thought, okay... I'll just edit the appropriate text via the *General Options* section. Uh oh... it's not there. Okay, so I'll go to the *Members -- HTML Page Editing* page and take care of it. So I click on the *General list information page* and find that the specific bit of text I want to edit appears to be sourced from the *<MM-List-Subscription-Msg>* variable. All I can find in the Wiki and other documentation on that particular variable is a definition.

I had really hoped this would be something I could modify from the *General Options* section but no joy. So now I'm apparently going to have to figure out how to edit code on the server somewhere. Can someone point me to what I have to do to edit this particular variable? I've got the sneaking suspicion that this stuff is not going to be easy to gain access to on the hosting company's server.

Is this something I can somehow request as a feature enhancement to the *General Options* section? And if so, what's the process for that?

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike Starr                            WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer  -  Online Help Developer  -   Technical Illustrator