[Mailman-Users] mailman violates RFC 1153?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Mon Nov 7 18:23:13 CET 2011

Someone recently contacted me because my Thunderbird "undigestify"
add-on <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/undigestify/> is
failing to unpack digests produced by Mailman 2.1.9.

He sent me a sample digest, which ends like this:

    End of test Digest, Vol 93, Issue 20
    ************************************

RFC 1153 has this to say about the digest trailer (emphasis added by me):

    The Trailer immediately follows the blank line of message separator
    following the last enclosed message.  The Trailer consists of two
    lines.  The first line /*must */begin with the words, End of,
    followed by the listname a blank and the word Digest which is
    usually followed by volume and issue number on the same line.  The
    second and last line of the Trailer and the entire message is a line
    of asterisks serving to underline the line immediately above it.

I looked at the mailman source code and it doesn't appear that the
Fedora Project is running a hacked version; it appears that the standard
Mailman source code inserts the list footer as shown above as part of
the digest trailer, in violation of the RFC.

I can and will work around this violation of the standard in my code,
but it makes the code significantly more complicated, and it's kind of
annoying to see the RFC being violated like this.

   jik