[Mailman-Users] bounces not getting through for processing

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Tue Nov 15 20:57:25 CET 2011

Hello, Mark,

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:15:29 -0700
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Anne Wainwright wrote:
> >
> >I queried this with my isp provider who queried it with IS (Internet
> >Solutions, smtp server & backbone provider) who said that ',' should
> >work. That has me worried, did they misunderstand my query?
>

> I'm sure they misunderstood. ',' is a delimiter between email
> addresses, not a delimiter between a local part and a local part
> suffix in a single address.
Right, it straightway plonks back a message about the address missing a
'@'

> >I'll have to
> >adjust the regex given in the FAQ. Should I try this or is this so
> >unusual as to be unlikely?
>

> >I do have all 10 addresses now, just to be sure.
>

> OK. First make sure that the fables-list Bounce processing ->
> bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner setting is Yes.
>
> Then send test messages via the relay server to
> <fables-list-bounces at fables.co.za>,
> <fables-list-bounces+xxx at fables.co.za> and
> <fables-list-bounces-xxx at fables.co.za>. These messages can be very
> simple, say both subject and body containing just 'test' or something
> similar.
>
> The message to <fables-list-bounces at fables.co.za> should definitely
> result in an unrecognized bounce notice to the list owner. One or both
> of the others may result in a rejection by the relay, but at least one
> may get relayed to the Mailman server and result in an unrecognized
> bounce notice to the list owner.
>
> If none get through, there is still a problem with the relay. If only
> the <fables-list-bounces at fables.co.za> message gets through, you can't
> use VERP. If one of the others gets through, you can use VERP with the
> corresponding delimiter.
We can't use VERP as neither got through

-bounces messages were being passed to /var/mail/sendmail and stacking
up there. They indicated that there was no such address. I never did
see the exact fault but it was likely something with the aliases as
after checking, tidying, etc, all of a sudden we were up and running
with bounce processing operational. All other addresses could be seen
to be going, particularly noticeable being the -request address, but
-bounces was not processed.

Thank you for the help

Anne