[Mailman-Users] VIrtual_Mailman_Local_Domain ( was Re: Invitationor subscription on behalf list-owner)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 6 05:06:42 CEST 2011

Syafril Hermansyah wrote:

>The wording text said:
># Whatever string value you set will be literally appended with an '@' #
>to the listaddress local parts on the right hand side.

Correct.

>>From my trial and error putting up domain on
>VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN affect the filling text on # LOOP ADDRESSES
>START section on /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

It affects every address in /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman. If
you didn't see the effect on all addresses, it's because you didn't
run bin/genaliases after setting VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN.

>My problem in the past related to this LOOP ADDRESSES, when the right
>hand side have empty domain name, all posting has rejected because the
>domain part change/convert to whatever domain I put on
>VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN.
>
>If I put empty (none), it would appended with @localhost which rejected
>by my helo_access checker protection :-(.

I don't understand. If you just don't set VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN
at all, i.e.accept the default setting of None, no domain information
at all is appended to the "to" addresses. If this is not what you see,
leave it out of mm_cfg.py and run bin/genaliases and look at the
result after genaliases.

Here's an example.

In mm_cfg.py I have

MTA = 'Postfix'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['grizz.org', 'msapiro.net']

The beginning of data/virtual-mailman has (with comments removed)

mailman-loop at grizz.org  mailman-loop
mailman-loop at msapiro.net        mailman-loop
gpc-website at grizz.org              gpc-website
gpc-website-admin at grizz.org        gpc-website-admin

This tells Postfix that the virtual address mailman-loop at grizz.org maps
to the address mailman-loop, the virtual address
mailman-loop at msapiro.net maps to the address mailman-loop, the virtual
address gpc-website at grizz.org maps to the address gpc-website, the
virtual address gpc-website-admin at grizz.org maps to the address
gpc-website-admin and so forth.

These "to" addresses are unqualified so Postfix treats them (assuming
the default append_at_myorigin = yes) as though they are @$myorigin or
(again assuming the default) @$myhostname. This should be a locally
deliverable domain so that the corresponding aliases

mailman-loop: /var/lib/mailman/data/owner-bounces.mbox
gpc-website:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
gpc-website"
gpc-website-admin:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin
gpc-website"

are effective for those addresses.

If for some reason in your Postfix configuration, myorigin is set to
some value which is not a locally deliverable domain, you then need to
append a domain to the "to" addresses in virtual-mailman. This may be
localhost or some other domain. For example. if you set

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'localhost'

then all the "to" addresses in virtual-mailman become like

mailman-loop at grizz.org  mailman-loop at localhost
mailman-loop at msapiro.net        mailman-loop at localhost
gpc-website at grizz.org              gpc-website at localhost
gpc-website-admin at grizz.org        gpc-website-admin at localhost

The intent is to add qualification so they become local addresses if
the bare name is not understood to be in a local domain.

If bare names such as mailman-loop, gpc-website, gpc-website-admin, etc
are understood to be local, VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN should be set
to None (the default). If not, VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN should be
set to one and only one of the domains in Postfix's mydestination

>The problem is if I put more than one domains such
>VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'list.example.com', 'others.domain.com',
>etc.domain.com
>
>makes error while generate aliases
>$ sudo /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases

That's because

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'list.example.com', 'others.domain.com',
etc.domain.com

is not valid Python, and even if you were to make it a valid list like

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = ['list.example.com',
'others.domain.com', etc.domain.com]

It would make no sense.