[Mailman-Users] 403 forbidden

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 22 18:23:43 CEST 2011

Emre Eryilmaz wrote:

>I cant reach public archive of my mailman lists.It gives 403 Forbidden
>error.

Most likely you need something like

<Directory "/var/lib/mailman/archives/public">
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

in your web server config. Also, see
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>.

[...]
>Then I tried to fix the permissions with "check_perms -f" command and the
>output is below :
>
>/var/lib/mailman/mail bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/cgi-bin bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/logs bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/Mailman bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/bin bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/icons bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/templates bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/locks bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/scripts bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>/var/lib/mailman/cron bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
>

>although it says "fixing" there is nothing change.Because again when I give
>check_perms command ,it gives same output(I mean first output above).
>
>Do you have any suggestion about this situation ?how can I fix these
>problems?

The check_perms issue is not a problem per se. The issue is that all
those things check_perms are complaining about are symlinks. See
<http://www.google.com/search?q=site:mail.python.org+inurl%3Amailman-users+check_perms+symlink>.