[Mailman-Users] A dumb first question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 30 03:23:13 CEST 2011

Laurie Lee wrote:

>Thank you for the info. I've looked through the options available to me as a
>list owner and clearly I have no direct way of changing the "set" outcome.
>As you say this is an "installation-wide setting".
>
>My next question: Is there a simple way that I can determine what this
>"installation-wide setting" is, short of testing and seeing what happens?

In cPanel, the Mailman installation is usually in
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman (see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Mailman+and+CPanel>)

If you have access to that directory, you can look at the file
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py for settings like

VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

which would cause every message from mailman to be sent individually
with an envelope sender containing an encoding of the recipient, and

SMTP_MAX_RCPTS

which sets the maximum number of recipients per SMTP transaction for
messages which aren't VERPed or personalized.

You can read more about these settings and their default values in
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py.

Note that even if SMTP_MAX_RCPTS is less than 200 or VERP is enabled on
all messages, if the outgoing MTA rejects the messages beyond the
initial 200 recipients with a permanent failure (5xx status). These
rejects will be recorded as bounces and that message won't be
delivered to those recipients.

>Messy.
>My final question: The managers of my hosting say that they make available
>but don't support Mailman. Is there a "default" set up; the likely
>installation; for Mailman Ver 2.1.14 on a Cpanel  Ver 11 site/hosting?

I have no idea. The cPanel installations I have seen are pretty much
default in these respects which means no VERPing, no personalized
deliveries and SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 500.

The real issue however is what does the MTA do with a message with >
200 recipients.