[Mailman-Users] A dumb first question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 30 03:23:13 CEST 2011

Laurie Lee wrote:

>Thank you for the info. I've looked through the options available to me as a
>list owner and clearly I have no direct way of changing the "set" outcome.
>As you say this is an "installation-wide setting".
>My next question: Is there a simple way that I can determine what this
>"installation-wide setting" is, short of testing and seeing what happens?

In cPanel, the Mailman installation is usually in
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman (see the FAQ at

If you have access to that directory, you can look at the file
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py for settings like

which would cause every message from mailman to be sent individually
with an envelope sender containing an encoding of the recipient, and

which sets the maximum number of recipients per SMTP transaction for
messages which aren't VERPed or personalized.

You can read more about these settings and their default values in

Note that even if SMTP_MAX_RCPTS is less than 200 or VERP is enabled on
all messages, if the outgoing MTA rejects the messages beyond the
initial 200 recipients with a permanent failure (5xx status). These
rejects will be recorded as bounces and that message won't be
delivered to those recipients.

>My final question: The managers of my hosting say that they make available
>but don't support Mailman. Is there a "default" set up; the likely
>installation; for Mailman Ver 2.1.14 on a Cpanel  Ver 11 site/hosting?

I have no idea. The cPanel installations I have seen are pretty much
default in these respects which means no VERPing, no personalized
deliveries and SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 500.

The real issue however is what does the MTA do with a message with >
200 recipients.