[Mailman-Users] Mollom content filtering service?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 23 20:38:05 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:48 AM, David <dave at fiteyes.com> wrote:

> Yes, Mollem is designed for blogs and web forms. So what do most Mailman
> admins use? Maia Mailguard, SpamAssassin, ClamAV? I guess this must be a
> common question, but I don't see any mention of it in the Mailman FAQ. Is
> it a more proper question for a Postfix list?

Indeed, the recommended configuration is to do your spam- and
virus-filtering in the MTA (Postfix, in your case).  This has many
advantages, including the ability to avoid accepting spam in the first
place.

See FAQs 4.23 and 6.12:
4.23 "How do I use SpamAssassin with Mailman?"
6.12 "Mailman + postfix + amavisd-new HOWTO (anti-spam)"

If you have some reason to do filtering in Mailman, there is a
3rd-party SpamAssassin module.  However, I don't recall hearing of a
virus filter Handler for Mailman, so you'd need to write your own
SpamAssassin rules or something.  Or run the virus filter from
Postfix, but if you do that, why not run your spam checker there, too?

To read more about the rationale, you'd have to dig into the archives.
 It comes up fairly frequently.

Regards,