[Mailman-Users] options to change URL structure?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 26 23:06:26 CEST 2012

On 4/26/2012 1:39 PM, David wrote:
> URL architecture is a concern to me because the URL should be a permanent
> address and it should not be overly complex or "ugly".
>
> In a standard Mailman implementation, we see URLs similar to this:
>
> http://server.example.com/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ourlist/

Actually, in a standad source install of Mailman, you won't have the
cgi-bin/ directory in the path. That's from a 3rd party package or
someone who went out of the way to do that.

> In a cpanel installation we see URLs similar to this:
>
> http://server.example.com/mailman/options/ourlist_server.example.com/
>
> I'm on a cpanel implementation. We are the only domain on the VPS. It is
> not a shared server. Is it possible to achieve a URL structure like this
> (with simple list name and no cgi-bin segment)?
>
> http://ourlist.example.com/mailman/options/ourlist/

Not if you use cPanel's Mailman and cPanel's list creation. It might be
possible if you create lists with bin/newlist. You'd have to experiment.

As far as the cgi-bin/ segment is concerned, you don't need it. You
don't even need the mailman/ segment if it wouldn't create conflicts to
drop it. This is all controlled by the list's web_page_url attribute set
at list creation time from the lists web host and DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN
and Mailman's ScriptAlias or equivalent in the web server.

See FAQs at <http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9> and <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9>.