[Mailman-Users] options to change URL structure?

David dave at fiteyes.com
Fri Apr 27 00:41:15 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 4/26/2012 1:39 PM, David wrote:
> >
> > In a standard Mailman implementation, we see URLs similar to this:
> > http://server.example.com/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ourlist/
> Actually, in a standad source install of Mailman, you won't have the
> cgi-bin/ directory in the path. That's from a 3rd party package or
> someone who went out of the way to do that.

The mailman package in Ubuntu does it this way by default.

> >Is it possible to achieve a URL structure like this
> > (with simple list name and no cgi-bin segment)?
> >
> > http://ourlist.example.com/mailman/options/ourlist/
> It might be
> possible if you create lists with bin/newlist. You'd have to experiment.

OK, this will work...

> don't even need the mailman/ segment if it wouldn't create conflicts to
> drop it.

It will not be a conflict. I'd like to drop it.

> This is all controlled by the list's web_page_url attribute set
> at list creation time from the lists web host and DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN
> and Mailman's ScriptAlias or equivalent in the web server.
> See FAQs at <http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9> and <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9
> >.

I read the FAQs. I could use a bit more help. Here are my settings now.

# cat Defaults.py | grep _URL_
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'cloud.example.com'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

# cat Defaults.py | grep _EMAIL_
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'cloud.example.com'

mm_cfg.py is empty except for the personalization options I set:

Based on this, my guess is that I will revise this line as so:

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/'

Is there anything else I need to change?

I'm a little confused by not seeing the expected URL subdomain.example.com.
Our list is list at subdomain.example.com; we don't use
cloud.example.com(there's no MX record for it).

# grep subdomain *
returns no matches in the folder where the config files reside