[Mailman-Users] Mailman needs 20 seconds to complete per email

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 4 04:22:30 CET 2012

On 12/3/2012 8:35 AM, Larry Stone wrote:
> A few comments below on selected lines:
>
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2012, Karsten Becker wrote:
>
>>> Dec 3 09:52:39 mail01 postfix/pipe[15199]: B0E971720080:
>>> to=<karsten-test at lists.foo.de>, relay=mailman, delay=0.21,
>>> delays=0.05/0.01/0/0.16, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via
>>> mailman service)
>
> As I now see in your master.cf, you're using the postfix-to-mailman.py
> script. This is a third-party product and is not supported by the
> Mailman developers. I know nothing about postfix-to-mailman so I have no
> idea if that's the source of the delay.

As I said in my reply earlier, the issue has nothing to do with
postfix_to_mailman.py. This module only delivers mail to Mailman. We
know Mailman got the mail without delay because 1) Postfix is telling us
that above, and 2) from the smtp log, OutgoingRunner got the outgoing
message 21.038 seconds before 09:53:02, i.e. at 9:52:40 or :41, just 1
or two seconds after postfix_to_mailman.py delivered it to Mailman's in/
queue.

>>> Dec 3 09:53:02 mail01 postfix/smtpd[15221]: 0D45F172007D:
>>> client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
>
> OK, now it's 23 seconds later but we're missing the "connect from" log
> line from Postfix. At this point, Postfix already has the message as
> evidenced by the queue-ID (0D45F172007D) in the message. So without
> seeing when the connect occurred, we don't know if the delay is in
> Mailman or Postfix.

Exactly, but I clain the delay is in the SMTP interaction between
OutgoingRunner and Postfix. To narrow it down, pleas do what I suggested
twice before. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9>. Add the

        self.__conn.set_debuglevel(1)

in the definition of __connect in Mailman/Handlers/SPTPDirect.py,
restart Mailman, send a post and then look at Mailman's error log which
should log with timestamps each step of the SMTP transaction.

That will tell you where the delay is more precisely that Postfix's log.

As to why there is a delay, I am not a real Postfix expert, I just
pretend, so I'm not going to look at your postconf -n output until you
do the above and report what you find.