[Mailman-Users] New to Mailman (and Linux)

Neil Carson ncarson at rogers.com
Mon Dec 3 19:00:13 CET 2012

Hello,

I am very new to Linux and Mailman. I have openSUSE 12.2 running on a 'box'
at home and I have Mailman 2.1.14 installed.

I am able to create a test-list either with the web interface or via command
line.

Not certain if Postfix is configured correctly.

My home ISP (Rogers.com)  does not allow customers to run a 'mailserver' and
prevents us from doing so by blocking (I believe) certain outgoing/incoming
ports etc.

Is there some way I can get around this  restriction and actually send msgs
to/from my test-list via my home set up (for now)?

My ultimate goal is to replace a 'list server' (Windows based) at my place
of work with Mailman running on SLES11.

As stated I am very new to Linux but have many years of computing experience
on `mainframe`, Netware, and Windows and I hope to come up to speed (so to
speak) on Linux in a `timely` manner :)

I have been reading up on Mailman on  http://list.org/  and
http://en.opensuse.org . Are there other good resources out on the web for
Mailman?

Any suggestions appreciated. I also apologize asking such `basic` questions.

Thank you

Neil.