[Mailman-Users] Real name on roster - was: Change of member address via web fails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 5 19:59:36 CET 2012

On 2/5/2012 7:05 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Speaking of "mailman-subscribers.py", some time ago, Mark, you sent me a lovely patch that would print subscribers as:
> 	Firstname Lastname <email at domainname>
> I don't know when that quit working, but probably some automagic OS update wiped it out somewhere along the way.

This was a patch to Mailman/HTMLFormatter.py to add the user's real name
if available to the roster produced by
http://example.com/mailman/roster/LISTNAME. The format was actually
"user at example.com (Jane User)", and it wasn't my patch. It came from
Martin Schütte. See

> At the time, I thought it was going to go back into the main distribution. Would it be possible to have it re-integrated into Mailman?

I said I would put in in Mailman 2.2
and I did. Mailman 2.2 was intended to have a new web UI, but we
subsequently decided to concentrate on doing that for Mailman 3 and that
there would never be an official 2.2 release.

I have continued to maintain the 2.2 branch in parallel with 2.1 and it
can be obtained from
<https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.2>. It contains
this and a few other features as described at the beginning of
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.2/view/head:/NEWS> and
is what I run in production.

So, your choices for this feature are to reapply this patch after every
Mailman package update, or forget the vendor package and install Mailman
2.2 from source.