[Mailman-Users] Personalization issue

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 1 08:59:24 CEST 2012

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9>.

> 2. Maybe there is an easier way to get the "delivered_to" info to appear
> somewhere in my messages.

If you can get the ISP to enable VERP delivery, the address sent to is
in the envelope sender and the Sender: and Errors-To: headers of the
message in the form <LISTNAME-bounces+user=users.domain at example.com>.

> 3. Maybe there is an entirely better way to do what I need, Help!

The Received: headers of the message may contain something like

	(using TLSv1 with cipher ADH-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
	(No client certificate requested)
	by sbh16.songbird.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 792686900C6
	for <mark at msapiro.net>; Thu, 31 May 2012 23:43:50 -0700 (PDT)

where the "for <mark at msapiro.net>" indicates the recipient. This is
dependent on the MTAs that the message passes through between Mailman
and the recipient.

> Looking further, I see that if the email from the MM server I use is "text"
> then the "delivered to" dies appear in the footer. If the message is
> delivered in what looks like "rich text" then the footers are hidden,
> attachments, or missing.

Yes. This is discussed in the above referenced FAQ. If the message after
content filtering is other than a single plain text part, the footer
will be added as a separate MIME part. Many MUAs will display this
properly in line, but others will call it an attachment. The footer part
will always be somewhere in the raw message and if the MUA hides it
completely (smartphone clients in particular may do this), the MUA is
broken.