[Mailman-Users] understanding Yahoo's "email temporarily deferred due to user complaints"

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Thu Jun 7 19:48:52 CEST 2012

From: Dave (FitEyes)
Sent: 07 June 2012 18:37
To: mailman-users at python.org
Subject: [Mailman-Users] understanding Yahoo's "email temporarily deferred due to user complaints"

>We received the following message from Yahoo. We want to understand what happened and how to resolve it.

><somelistmember at yahoo.com>: delivery temporarily suspended: host mta5.am0.yahoodns.net[209.191.88.254] refused to talk to me: 421 4.7.0 >[TS01] Messages from <OUR_IP_ADDRESS> temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421->ts01.html

>The message has an attachment named noname.eml (as well as a details.txt file). We are assuming this noname.eml is the triggering email >(maybe the one that was complained about). (BTW, it was not spam.)

Those aren't the messages that triggered this, it is likely these attachments were generated from your system which was having trouble sending to the Yahoo accounts.

Please read the documents at:

http://feedbackloop.yahoo.net/

If you are DKIM signing your messages this is good as it allows you to participate in the program, I participate in the program and get the complaints that users make (when they click the spam button in their mail client) directly.

Since signing up for the program I have no issue delivering to Yahoo addresses.

>This first response from Yahoo listed (in details.txt) 150 out of about 600 total Yahoo members on our list. These were the email addresses that >we could not send to for 4 hours. There were 4 subsequent similar messages (each with a noname.eml attachment) from Yahoo (so 5 in total) >and now this affects 450 out of 600 Yahoo members on our list.

Yep, you are being throttled so some of the messages will get through, but others will be subject to the delay.  There is no pattern on which addresses will go through or not, it depends on which order the MTA tries to deliver the message.
Andrew.