[Mailman-Users] understanding Yahoo's "email temporarily deferred due to user complaints"

Dave (FitEyes) dave at fiteyes.com
Thu Jun 7 20:04:46 CEST 2012

Thanks Andrew. I'm going to top-post my reply because I think it may be
clearer to do so.

Yes, we are signed up for Yahoo's feedback loop (since we started the
list), but we are still having this problem. We are not on Yahoo's
whitelist (yet). Our domain is not on any of the 100+ blacklists we monitor
daily.

We do DKIM sign all messages from our list (and our SPF and rDNS records
are in place too).

We have full personalization enabled on the server, but "personalize
(nondigest)" is set to NO on this list. We could use it if it would help
with this issue.

We run postfix (on Ubuntu 12.04).

This looks relevant, but it is from 2008. Is it worth changing the postfix
config as explained below?

See from:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-February/060476.html
to: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-February/060485.html
(I didn't find any other info on this topic.)

Rick Harris wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  I understand that ultimately it is a Yahoo problem
> and ultimately something that will never be cured.  I was hoping since I
> only run one small list that there was a "magic" switch that I could flip
> that would get past Yahoo.
>
> Rick Harris

Rick, the last time Yahoo did this was in December, and I spent a week
trying to contact someone there with a pulse,
tried getting added to their whitelist, filled in forms, read their
automated responses, etc.
After about two weeks, the deferrals went away. Until now.
Even with my postfix configured for a "slow" Yahoo, as in the following,
I still have 2600 Yahoo deferrals in my retry queue.

postfix/master.cf
yahoo     unix  -       -       n       -       1       smtp

postfix/main.cf
yahoo_destination_recipient_limit = 5            # matches Yahoo's limit
yahoo_destination_concurreny_limit = 2

postfix/transport
yahoo.ca        yahoo:
yahoo.com       yahoo: