[Mailman-Users] /bin/sh: mailman: command not found

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 10 17:48:34 CEST 2012

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Here is /etc/cron.d/mailman

#
# -- WARNING -- WARNING -- WARNING -- WARNING -- WARNING -- WARNING --
# ------------------  EDIT THE CORRECT FILE  -------------------------
#
# This file is copied to /etc/cron.d/mailman from
# /usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in when the mailman service is started
via its
# init.d script and the file /etc/cron.d/mailman is removed when the
# service is stopped.  Therefore any edits made directly to
# /etc/cron.d/mailman will be lost anytime the mailman service
# restarts.
#
# To make changes edit the master copy /usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in
and then
# restart the service to pick up the changes (/sbin/service mailman
restart).
#
# The reason this is done this way is because the mailman cron jobs
# should only be invoked if the mailman service is enabled and not
# just as a consequence of installing the rpm as was the case
# previously. The file /etc/cron.d/mailman cannot simply be linked to
# the master copy in /usr/lib/mailman/cron because for security reasons cron
# will not process crontab files that are links or writeable by
# anybody else but root, thus the file must be copied into /etc/cron.d
# with the right ownership and permissions.
#
# At 8AM every day, mail reminders to admins as to pending requests.
# They are less likely to ignore these reminders if they're mailed
# early in the morning, but of course, this is local time... ;)
0 8 * * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/checkdbs
#
# At 9AM, send notifications to disabled members that are due to be
# reminded to re-enable their accounts.
0 9 * * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/disabled
#
# Noon, mail digests for lists that do periodic as well as threshhold
delivery.
0 12 * * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests
#
# 5 AM on the first of each month, mail out password reminders.
0 5 1 * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/mailpasswds
#
# Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail.  You can comment this one out
# if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
# or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * mailman
/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_new
#
# At 3:27am every night, regenerate the gzip'd archive file.  Only
# turn this on if the internal archiver is used and
# GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES is false in mm_cfg.py
27 3 * * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
#
# At 4:30AM daily, cull old entries from the 'bad' and 'shunt' queues.
30 4 * * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/cull_bad_shunt
#
# check for mail via fetchmail every 5 minutes
*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail --all --silent -f
/usr/lib/mailman/fetchmailrc
#
# Send a monthly reminder to cufsalumni list members
0 0 1 * * /usr/lib/mailman/cron/mailpasswds -l cufsalumni
#
# Send a monthly bounce report
0 0 1 * * /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -r get_bounce_info
cufsalumni|mail -s "c
ufsalumni List Bounce Report" dap1 at bellsouth.net

I did not edit this file directly. Per the instructions this is updated
from  /usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in'. That is the file I edit.

Here are the contents of /var/spool/cron/mailman:

drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman  4096 Jun  2 14:45 archive
drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman  4096 Jun  2 05:05 bounces
drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman  4096 May 10 09:00 commands
drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman 36864 Jun 10 09:00 in
drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman  4096 May  9 09:50 news
drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman 12288 Jun 10 09:00 out
drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman  4096 May  9 09:50 retry
drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman 28672 May 18 04:30 shunt
drwxrws---. 2 mailman mailman 28672 Jun 10 09:00 virgin

I don't know how this might have been generated if it is supposed to be
empty. Just as a reminder I am using CentOS 6 with Apache 2.2.15.

Thanks.