[Mailman-Users] more questions about Yahoo feedback loop and abuse complaints

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Wed Jun 13 18:59:05 CEST 2012

* David <dave at fiteyes.com>:

> We received 23 Yahoo feedback loop notices this morning from one user.
> Supposedly these are abuse or complaint notices. The person joined us in
> Sept of last year. After we received these notices from Yahoo today, we
> contacted the member. She did not remember reporting us as spam. She didn't
> offer us any useful feedback because she didn't remember any details.

But didn't she just report the mails as spam? Anyway, here at
python.org we just unsubscribe those members, no questions asked. No
notifications either.

> However, she *does* wish to continue receiving emails from our list. So it
> seems clear this was not an actual case of abuse. Unfortunately, Yahoo will
> not deliver our messages to this address any longer, as far as I know. And
> the person did not want to get a new email address.

Too bad. She should complain to yahoo!

Just like here at python.org :)

> The only info we received from Yahoo about this incident is the original
> message we sent and a line like this:
>
> This is an email abuse report for an email message received from
> example.com on Thu, 07 Jun 2012 03:32:29 PDT

Yes.

> My questions are:
>
> 1. Why are we just receiving a feedback on 13 June 2012 for a message we
> sent out on 07 June 2012?

Because the feedback is sent when the user klicks on the "Spam" button.

> 2. Does an incident like this count 23 times against our Yahoo reputation?

Dunno.

> 3. Is anyone else seeing notification delays coupled with multiple notices
> like this?

We sometimes get LOTS of consecutive complaints when a luser "deletes"
his/her mail with the "spam" button :)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt                   Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin
ralf.hildebrandt at charite.de        Campus Benjamin Franklin