[Mailman-Users] Displaying the sender email

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 9 16:26:10 CET 2012

On 3/8/2012 8:39 AM, Duane Winner wrote:

> Is there a way to configure Mailman lists so the From: line can say:
>
> "From listname at mymanserver.com [On Behalf of John.Doe at yahoo.com]"

First, please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9>. Hopefully,
this will explain what MS Outlook is actually displaying as the From: of
the message.

T answer your question, no there is not, at least not as a standard
configuration. This could be done by setting the Sender: to
listname at mymanserver.com instead of listname-bounces at mymanserver.com,
but this would not be desirable as it could result in bounces being
returned to the list instead of to bounce processing.

> We are using a 3rd-party SMTP relay for all outbound mail, so we need
> to approve all senders for the service to allow the email to go
> through.

Are you sure the relay is not looking at the envelope sender rather than
any From: or Sender: header in the message. I would expect that it is,
in which case, the addresses you need to 'whitelist' are the
listname-bounces at mymanserver.com addresses regardless of any From: in
the message.

> This poses a problem with the dozens of mailing lists we host, since
> it is not practical to approve hundreds (if not thousands) of
> members.
>
> So what we are doing is configuring the mailman lists to "Hide the
> sender of a message, replacing it with the list address (Removes
> From, Sender and Reply-To fields) ", setting it to "Yes".
>
> So now all members of the list will see posts as:
>
> "From: listname at mymailmanserver.com"
>
> Instead of the address of the poster.
>
> This is actually a good thing for us, and we actually prefer this
> behavior to ensure that discussions will stay on the lists, but also
> this solves the problem of the SMTP relay service, since now we only
> need to approve the wildcard for "*@mymailmanserver.com" so the
> service will relay the email.

I suspect the above will work regardless of any list settings.

> The problem is that posters don't always include signatures, and we
> need to know who sent them, but by stripping out the original sender,
> unless they do include a signature in the body, members might not
> always be able to tell who posted to the list.

Try setting anonymous_list back to No, and if you want to "ensure that
discussions will stay on the lists", set reply_goes_to_list to This
list. I suspect that together with whitelisting "*@mymailmanserver.com"
will do what you want.