[Mailman-Users] MAIL FROM envelope header query.

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Sat Mar 10 02:06:21 CET 2012

I have a Mailman 2.1.14 *moderated* list that goes to Gmane for
newsgroup access. The other day a post was made from someone who
didn't appear to be on my list.

I wasn't sure whether this was due to an error at my end, or at
Gmane's. So I queried them. The problem however is that I didn't
understand their reply .... but more importantly....how to fix things
so it doesn't happen again !

Can someone here read the following and tell me if/how I can put a
stop to people not on my mailing list, posting please ?

"When Gmane sends messages (posted through the news-to-mail gateway)
the mailing lists, it uses the subscribed email address as the MAIL
envelope header.  If your mailing list software discriminates based
the MAIL FROM instead of the From: header (the latter is more usual),
then you may see stuff like that..."

I have been using Mailman for a time, but still consider myself a
so any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards, John.