[Mailman-Users] MAIL FROM envelope header query.

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Sat Mar 17 04:50:00 CET 2012

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:58:25 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>John Fitzsimons wrote:

< snip >

>Yes, but what happened to the post? Did it go directly to the list or

It went to the mailing list and the Gmane newsgroup without me seeing
it first.

>was it held for moderator action for some reason? If the latter, for
>what reason?

>>>If it just went to the list
>>>and you want it to be held, just set the mod flag on the subscribed
>>>Gmane address and it will be held as a post from a moderated member.

>>It doesn't appear to be a subscribed address.

>I'm talking about the Gmane address that is subscribed to your list,
>not some address that happened to be in the From: header of the
>particular message.

Ah ! Gmane's subscription address ? If I put the mod flag on that then
every poster would effectively be "moderated" wouldn't they ?

Though your next paragraph suggests that that wouldn't happen.

< snip >

>What you need to do is go to the web admin Membership List pages for
>your list and find the Gmane address that is a member of your list and
>make sure its "mod" box is checked. That way, any "non-member" posts
>from Gmane, regardless of who they are From: should be held for
>moderation and you can accept them or not as you see fit.

Okay, so I put the Gmane subscription address as "mod" ?

>You said in your original post that your list was "moderated". What
>does that mean to you?

It means that people not on my mailing list should not be able to have
emails go to the mailing list or the Gmane newsgroup.

>Does it mean all the member's "mod" boxes are
>checked

No.

>and Privacy options... -> Sender filters ->
>default_member_moderation is set to Yes so that new members are also
>have their mod boxes checked by default, or does it mean something
>else?

default_member_moderation is set to "No".

I assumed that the "new list member postings" are those people I have
okayed to join the mailing list.

>Also, what do you mean by "registered" posters? Is this just the
>list membership, or is it something else? If I knew exactly, I might
>be able to suggest other things.

The list membership.

Thank you for your help, and explanation. It is slowly making sense to
me.

Regards, John.