[Mailman-Users] problem with non-member filter

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 22 08:20:46 CET 2012

On 03/21/2012 12:19 PM, Max Spring wrote:
> Using Mailman version 2.1.14-1, I'm trying to get notifications from
> Youtube and Facebook automatically accepted.
> In Privacy Options -> Sender filters -> accept_these_nonmembers, I
> configured
>
>   noreply at youtube.com
>   ^notification.*facebookmail\.com$
>   ^update.*facebookmail\.com$
>
> But I'm still getting authorization requests for emails from these sources.
> (generic_nonmember_action is "Hold", but it actually should not matter.)

The *_these_nonmembers addresses and regexps are matched against a
single address which may or may not be the From: address of the message.
The address used is the one returned by Mailman's Message.get_sender()
method and is determined as follows:

  Return the address considered to be the author of the email.

  This can return either the From: header, the Sender: header or the
  envelope header (a.k.a. the unixfrom header).  The first non-empty
  header value found is returned.  However the search order is
  determined by the following:

  - If mm_cfg.USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER is true, then the search order is
    Sender:, From:, unixfrom

  - Otherwise, the search order is From:, Sender:, unixfrom