[Mailman-Users] Subscribing by Email Command AND Including Name

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 26 17:59:05 CEST 2012

On 3/26/2012 12:52 AM, Bob Bowers wrote:
> Am I missing something? Is it possible to send a subscription request
> to a mail list WITH the name of the subscriber? This is possible in
> “Mass Subscription” but I do not see a place to include a name in a
> command string by email. I would like to have my list open for
> subscription, however I want the names of subscribers in the list.

It depends. If the user sends email to the list-join or list-subscribe
address or to list-request with a plain subscribe command, the user's
name will be taken from the From: header of the email.

I.e., an email

From: My Name <me at example.com>
To: list.join at example.net

On the other hand, if you send a subscribe command with the address=
option to the list-request address in order to subscribe an address
other than the From: header address, there is no way to specify a user
name with that command. You can send, e.g., the command

subscribe mypasswd digest

without the address= option to specify a password and/or (no)digest, and
as long as it doesn't have address=, both name (if any) and address will
be taken form the From: header.