[Mailman-Users] Problem creating mailing lists via webinterface in2.1.11

Steve Matzura smtgv at noisynotes.com
Wed Mar 28 22:43:05 CEST 2012

It would *never* be in my best interest not to give you all the info.
The problem is, I don't know exactly what info you need or want, and
what would be superfluous. Let's see if I can provide more below.
Anything I've omitted, just ask and it shall be yours for the knowing.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:28:27 -0700, you wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>>Steve Matzura wrote:
>>
>>>and
>>>second, the aliases file is not updated, so if a subscriber tries to
>>>send a message to the list, they receive an auto-reply telling them
>>>"user unknown in virtual mailbox table". My question is, why doesn't
>>>the web interface create new list feature update the aliases file? Is
>>>this a bug or a feature, or is there something I should put into
>>>mm_cfg.py to enable this, similar to
>>>owners-may-delete-their-own-lists?
>>

>>If bin/newlist updates the aliases, web create should too, so clearly
>>this has something to do with the error.
>>
>>If the list is created and the only problem is that aliases aren't
>>updated, it could be a permissions issue. Is Mailman's cgi-bin/create
>>wrapper group 'mailman' and SETGID and does group 'mailman' have write
>>permission on the aliases?

In case it went by and you didn't see it, here are the perms on those
four files in /var/lib/mailman/data:

-rw-rw---- 1 root list  6725 2012-03-28 19:07 aliases
-rw-rw---- 1 list list 12288 2012-03-28 19:07 aliases.db
-rw-rw---- 1 root list  5830 2012-03-28 19:07 virtual-mailman
-rw-r----- 1 root list 12288 2012-03-28 19:07 virtual-mailman.db

>Also, the "user unknown in virtual mailbox table" error indicates the
>list domain is a virtual domain. If the issue is that Mailman's
>data/aliases is updated, but data/virtual-mailman is not, the problem
>is that the email host_name for the list is not in
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS. For a web create, the host_name is
>determined by taking the web host from the URL used to go to the
>create page and looking it up in the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary

That would be www.theglobalvoice.info with the additional mailman
suffix string, of course. I tried putting add_virtualhost in
mm_cfg.py, but all that did was generate an error saying I'd found a
bug! Obviously that was the wrong thing to do, so I removed it, and
now we're back to the "unknown virtual host" error on the web create
form.