[Mailman-Users] Problem creating mailing lists via web interface in2.1.11

Steve Matzura smtgv at noisynotes.com
Thu Mar 29 03:48:35 CEST 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:28:25 -0700, you wrote:

>How do you know this? Is the list visible in the web UI? In
>bin/list_lists?

Neither.

>It may, but I can't say with the information I have. I'd need to see
>'postconf -n' but I don't think that's necessary. I think the issue is
>the aliases were never created because of the error in the create CGI.
>
>Do you have
>
>add_virtualhost('www.theglobalvoice.info', 'theglobalvoice.info')
>
>or perhaps the equivalent
>
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.theglobalvoice.info'
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'theglobalvoice.info'
>
>followed by
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>
>in mm_cfg.py.

The line:

add_virtualhost('www.theglobalvoice.info', 'theglobalvoice.info')

did not exist in mm_cfg.py until now. I added it directly in front of:

I then saved mm_cfg.py and restarted mailman with `mailmanctl restart'
and attempted to create the mailing list. IT WORKED! It showed up in
all four placess-output from list_lists, as the last stanza in
virtual-mailman, as the last stanza in aliases, and in the Web UI! I
thank you for bearing with me, I apologize for insufficient detailed
error reporting, but with your collective assistance, it's now running
correctly.

What is the purpose of the line I added? Does it "point"
www.theglobalvoice.info to the real domain of theglobalvoice.info
since that's where all the email list addresses go? If that's the
case, why did the Web UI create not work? Does it carry the "www"
subdomain with it in the underlying commands that actually do the list
creation? If so, then that explains everything to me. If I'm totally
off the mark, then I need to go back to school!

To recap:

I changed permissions on the aliases and virtual-mailman db files to
+660 (-rw-rw----).

I added the line:

add_virtualhost('www.theglobalvoice.info', 'theglobalvoice.info')

to /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py directly in front of the line:

and saved mm_cfg.py.

I restarted Mailman wit `/var/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl restart'.

To test, I created a mailing list with the Web UI and checked for its
existence in list_lists and in the aliases and virtual-mailman files
in /var/lib/mailman/data.

Everything checks out and the new mailing list is operating correctly.

Did I forget to check or report on anything?