[Mailman-Users] suggestion - wording for one of the admin options

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 3 03:15:35 CEST 2012

David wrote:

>The following wording is very confusing (especially because of its
>similarity to the wording of the next item which has the opposite effect):
>
>Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type. Leave
>> this field blank to skip this filter test.
>>

>I would like to propose to the developers the following wording:
>
>Pass message attachments that match a listed content type. Leave this field
>> blank to skip this filter test.
>>

>And here's a suggestion for the next item too:
>
>Remove message attachments that match a listed filename extension.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, changes such as these will break the i18n translations
of these messages in all 37 existing translations. I don't think the
need for these changes justifies doing that.

Further, your suggested "Pass message attachments that match a listed
content type. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test."
wording seems ambiguous to me as it doesn't say what happens to parts
that don't match. Are they removed unbconditionally or does their
removal depend on other settings? If I were going to make a change, I
think it would need to be more like "Pass message attachments that
match a listed content type and remove all others. Leave this field
blank to skip this filter test."

You might consider reporting this against Postorious, the new Mailman 3
web UI under development, at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius/+filebug>.