[Mailman-Users] OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/list/attachments: No such file or directory

David dave at fiteyes.com
Tue May 8 17:41:14 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM, David <dave at fiteyes.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:48 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>wrote:
>
>> David writes:
>>
>>  > apparently I missed something. The problem was simply permissions --
>> the
>>  > well-known Ubuntu issue.
>>
>> Not just Ubuntu.  I believe pretty much every system that Mailman runs
>> on runs into these issues every once in a while.
>>
>> It's important to run bin/check_perms every time you upgrade, and
>> check the output carefully (IIRC setup.py runs it automatically, so
>> the important part is checking the output).  If it's not 100% clean,
>> then run "bin/check_perms -f".  Sometimes multiple runs are
>> necessary.

Here is some unexpected behavior:

root at localhost:/var/lib/mailman# bin/check_perms -f
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/list/2012-May/index.html bad group (has:
www-data, expected list) (fixing)
Problems found: 1
Re-run as list (or root) with -f flag to fix

Re-running multiple times doesn't fix this.

Checking permissions shows that it has the correct group (list):

-rw-rw-r-- 1 list list  1037 May  8 14:02 index.html

Any recommendation on fixing this?

I fixed the other group problems with the help of this blog post:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/change-group-ownership-of-symbolic-links-in-unix-or-linux/

chgrp can be used to change group ownership of files and directories in