[Mailman-Users] Giving away the secrets of 99.3% email delivery

David dave at fiteyes.com
Sun May 13 03:39:08 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> DKIM signing is normally done in an outgoing MTA. SPF and reverse DNS
> are DNS things, not Mailman.
>
> In general, best practices for Mailman servers are the same as best
> practices for sending mail in general.
>
> Mailman does have the ability to remove DKIM signatures from incoming
> mail where Mailman might break these signatures by, e.g., prefixing
> Subject: headers and/or adding list header or footer information to
> message bodies, but this is controversial. Also, DKIM signing of
> outgoing list mail is controversial because by doing so, you are
> saying that your server vouches for the legitimacy of this mail when,
> in fact, it may be spam that made it through your list.
>
> Read some of the hits returned by
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=site:mail.python.org+inurl:mailman+dkim>.

Thanks for the info and the search link. Interesting reading (some of it,
anyway). In regard to the controversial aspect of DKIM signing of outgoing
list mail, we moderate all messages, so I'm not too concerned about that
part.

I have DKIM implemented with opendkim and Postfix and messages sent out via
sendmail are signed properly.

However, messages sent out to the list's users by Mailman are not DKIM
signed. Any suggestions?