[Mailman-Users] GNU Mailman, admins and passwords

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 10:04:29 CEST 2012

Hi all,
Newbie on the list. First of all thank you for making GNU Mailman and
making prospective mods. and admins life easier.  Secondly, please CC
me if somebody answers to this query as I have stopped mail delivery
from the list (Mailman can simply deluge my inbox as it has quite some
activity) as well as I am subscribed to too many lists (where also I
have done the above), the idea being to limit intake wherever I can. I
am also not a python geek but have played a bit with python. Am
comfortable on console/terminal.

Anyways, onto the query/issue. Recently on one of the mailing lists I
have been upgraded to adminship on one of the mailing lists . While I
understand that being an administrator means you have earned the trust
of fellow admins. I also saw that all the admins share a common
password for admin purposes. If one of the admins. does something
naughty/mischievous  thing I assume it could be found out by the IP
Address and if some event escalates then do tracing of of as to who
had the IP Address at that point in time. Internally I feel  it
*probably* uses either a cookie/token or something like that but have
no idea what it does.

What I want to know if administrators can have some sort of own unique
passwords which Mailman can authenticate as to who took what steps ? I
looked up both the archives and the wiki  to see if something similar
was asked before but somehow wasn't able to get any clear answers.

I got the following results but they seem to be different and unsatisfactory :-

https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/site.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg50419.html

I also looked up the wiki but ended up none the wiser .

Looking forward to help or/and direction in this regard.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल