[Mailman-Users] Need to extract subscribers from Mailman files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 10 00:46:23 CEST 2013

David Roth wrote:

>I'm helping out a friend. His server had a hardware failure. He has a
>backup, and has retrieved the Mailman files for the mailing list he
>maintains. The mailman directory he sent me has the following directories
>at the top level:
>
>archives  data  lists  spam
>
>His goal is to extract the e-mail addresses of the subscribers so he can
>re-invite them to a new mailing list system.

If the new mailing list system is Mailman, all that needs to be done is
move the lists/LISTNAME/config.pck file to the new installation and
baybe the archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file to use in
rebuilding the archives. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/2oA9>
and posts linked therefrom.

>How can I extract the e-mail addresses of the subscribers? I looked around
>in the files and unless I missed something there doesn't appear to be a
>text file with a list of the e-mail addresses. I'm guessing that I could
>install Mailman on my Linux server and do something to extract these e-mail
>addresses?

The addresses are in the config.pck. You can run 'strings' on that and
filter out email addresses. If you have a Mailman installation,
Mailman's bin/dumpdb will dump the config.pck in a more usable form
and bin/list_members will list the members.