[Mailman-Users] member address in envolope ID and From: lines

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 16 19:34:11 CEST 2013

On 4/15/2013 11:56 PM, Al Black wrote:

> Thinking about it a bit more, it would be better if there was a check
> to make sure the email address in the envelope ID matched actually
> matched the address in the "From:".  Is there a way of setting that
> in the  mm_cfg.py file?  Ideally, my preference would be to work with
> the individual users on this, in part because it only happened on a
> couple of lists.  Could a Regexp catch this in the spam filters
> settings.

The comment at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1154004/comments/7> suggests a
way to use header_filter_rules to make sure the Sender: (if any) and
From: addresses match. Assuming your MTA is standards compliant and puts
the envelope sender in a Return-Path: header, you could use something
like that. It would have the advantage over Sender: in that Return-Path:
would always precede From: and you wouldn't have to worry about the
other order.

Still, a custom handler <http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9> is probably more
robust.