[Mailman-Users] Exporting users list and inviting new users

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Apr 28 18:49:33 CEST 2013

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/aYA9>.

>I have another question too. Is there a way I can invite new members to the mailing list, just by sending an email to a particular address? For example my mailing list address is IranRAVI at IranRAVI.com and I want to invite User1 at yahoo.com to this group. I send an email to IranRavi-Invite at IranRAVI.com and include user1 at yahoo.com in subject line and this user is invited to the mailing list. Such thing is possible?

It is possible but only by modifying Mailman itself and the MTA to add
a command script to process the invitation requests and to add the
'invite' command to the mail wrapper's list of valid commands and to
tell the MTA how to deliver the '-invite' address to Mailman.

Alternatively, you could modify the existing Mailman/cmd_subscribe.py
and/or cmd_join.py scripts to send invitations. If you modify only
cmd_subscribe.py, then mail to either *-subscribe or *-join will send
an invitation because join merely imports the process from subscribe,
but you could make separate scripts, one of which would subscribe and
the other invite.

Yet another possibility is to just make sure the list's
subscribe_policy is Confirm and modify the verify.txt template per
<http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9> so it looks more like an invitation.