[Mailman-Users] Mailman is changing list names to upper case first letter; how can that be changed? Are list names not case-sensitive?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 30 22:24:17 CEST 2013

On 04/30/2013 12:15 PM, Tom Browder wrote:

> I assume there is some way to change that behavior in a python file, but where?

Mailman's internal list name, i.e. the name of of it's lists/LISTNAME
directory and the name in URLs and the exposed list email addresses.
Assuming you have a case sensitive file system and web server, these
must always be lower case.

The name you are talking about is the list's real_name attribute. This
can be any 'mixed case' name that differs only in case from the internal
name and is the name you see in the listinfo overview, the titles of
various web pages, etc.

You can change this to any other name that differs only in case from the
internal name on the list's General Op[tions page (first setting) or
with bin/config_list. By default, when a list is created, it is set to
the list's internal name with the first letter upper-cased.

If you want to change this default, edit the module Mailman/MailList.py.
Around line 352 you'll see

        self.real_name = internalname[0].upper() + internalname[1:]

Change that to

        self.real_name = internalname