[Mailman-Users] smtp-failure.log / diagnosing delivery to only some subscribers

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:58:22 CET 2013

Based on the logs that I have seen, this log  records messages sent to
addresses with bad syntax. Is that all it does. I don't see many items in
these, and with the volume of mail going through our system, I would expect
to see more.

"failed with code 501: 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax"

A post to a list shows 1) it was posted to the list (post.log) 2) Mailman
sent it to x number of recipients (smtp.log). When I look at the actual MTA
log, I only see that message, based on the message ID, going to a portion
of the x number of recipients.

So, I assumed that smtp-failure.log would show which addresses were not
sent to. I don't think that is what it is for.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot why the message seems to be only
sent to a portion of the subscribers, though Mailman tells me it was sent
to all the subscribers?

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com"