[Mailman-Users] From Header Changed

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 13 15:11:49 CET 2013

I have not made any changes (intentionally) to mailman in many months
but suddenly mail from the list has listname-bounces as the from header
rather then the original poster. I have to assume that one of my CentOS
updates changed something, although I don't recall seeing any automatic
updates to mailman. I can't seem to find where to set that header. In
any case wherever I set it before must have been wrong for an update to
overwrite it (assuming that is what caused this).

Also, I'm guessing this is related, bounced messages are now being
handled as uncaught bounces.

The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
from it.  This mailing list has been configured to send all
unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

This is in spite of the fact that the reason for the bounce and the bad address are quite clear in the bounced message (sanitized).

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<******@aol.com>:
Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 <*******@aol.com>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com [RCPT_TO]

If the reason is because that address is not a recognized member address, then how did it get sent there in the first place? The content was indeed a list message.

Can someone help sort out what is wrong and how to prevent it in the future? Thanks.