[Mailman-Users] OT - Regex help (was: Re: About Spam Filtering

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Feb 16 16:56:07 CET 2013

On 2013-02-16 9:54 AM, Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:
>> This 'if' block is just a bunch of separate one line tests that, if any
>> of them match, result in the vacation response not being sent, so it
>> doesn't really matter what is above them (they are all the defaults, this
>> is the only line I am modifying)...
>
> Not exactly. If you chain them with elsif then the conditions are tested
> in order until one matches, and any after that are not tested. If one of
> the earlier conditions matched then your rule would never match.

Correct... what I meant was, if one of the prior tests match, then the
vacation message will NOT be sent, so my test is irrelevant, since it
only has the potential to do the same thing (prevent the message from
being generated).

None of these tests are used to send the message, only prevent it from
being sent...

> Remove the + mark (and learn what .* means) and you're probably done.

Done... hopefully this will fix things up... thanks again!

> In the debug statement, $1 will be the string in ( ) that matched, but
> $2 is not defined since there is no other ( ) string.

Ok, fixed that too...

Thanks again! If this works as expected I should be able to get the
postfixadmin guys to add this to the default vacation.pl, with a
description of how to use it...