[Mailman-Users] Odd replacement of the sender address

Michael Smith msmith13337 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:53:37 CET 2013

Hey everybody!

I have a strange problem using mailman 2.1.13: Every time, a mail is sent
to one of the lists, the real sender address is replaced by
somelocaluser at example.com (somelocaluser being a unix user on the server
and example.com being the domain). This is very inconvenient since some of
the addresses doesn't even exist. Interestingly only the address is
changed; the name is unaltered. For example "John Doe <john at thedoefamily.com>"
might become "John Doe <root at example.com>".

In all the logs that I checked, the sender address was the correct one.
Even in the pipermail archives the address is correct but not in the
various MUAs of the subscribers. In every case the header information
itself was wrong in the source code of the mail. Sending e-mails to the
recipient directly through the mail server worked fine in every case (this
is why I assume the problem lies with mailman).

This problem is driving me crazy...

Cheers
Michael