[Mailman-Users] how to revert back to local domain only?

Graham Young grahamyoung at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 10 19:13:50 CET 2013

This is my first time posting. I am a relatively inexperienced Mailman administrator but have no trouble with CLI.

Context is that I have version 2.1.14 installed on an Apple Mac mini running client Mac OS 10.6.8. I used Larry Stone's instructions (dated May 2, 2010) for installing into /usr/local/mailman.

MTA is Postfix. I believe that integration with Postfix in my case does NOT require postfix-to-mailman.py, but I do not understand enough about that to say more.

My goal is to learn more about how Mailman works, how to administer it. I am trying different configurations--getting my feet wet so to speak.

Above question arises out of curiosity. Having successfully implemented virtual domains I now arbitrarily wish to revert this installation to local-domain only.

(It's not so arbitrary: I learn by undoing. Born analyst, I guess.)

I fully expect to have to delete from main.cf and mm_cfg.py what I had to insert there to enable virtual domains. Postfix's "virtual_alias_maps" configuration in main.cf comes to mind. Likewise, I'm thinking Mailman's "add_virtualhost" configuration in from mm_cfg.py would be another.

But what about Mailman's "VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear" config in mm_cfg.py? Do I take that out too?

Furthermore, I am aware that once configured for virtual domains, mailman automatically generates certain files: /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual_mailman, among others. However, it is not clear to me whether these files will automatically be removed or whether their removal requires my intervention. Indeed I don't even know that they would need to be removed.

Finally, there is bound to be more to this than I merely anticipate. Perhaps there are other files to modify or remove.

Someone please advise.

Many thanks,
Graham Young