[Mailman-Users] Information about config_list and change_pw

Chris Nulk cnulk at scu.edu
Mon Jan 28 23:19:53 CET 2013

On 1/28/2013 10:53 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Chris Nulk wrote:
>> It seems to make a little more sense to use scripts/programs that are
>> more targeted to specific changes I want to make to a list and I can
>> document what I am doing a little easier.
>
> If you know what you are doing, you can do anything to a list with
> config_list or withlist. These are powerful tools that also have the
> ability to break things badly if you don't know what you're doing or
> make a mistake.
>
> A targeted script is more limited in what it can do, but if it is well
> tested, probably won't break anything in an irrecoverable way.
>
> Most of the scripts in my scripts/ directory were created in response
> to "how do I" questions on this list that I thought were of some wider
> interest. They exist so I can point people at them rather than
> explaining how to do it each time it comes up. Others are things I
> actually use myself.
>
> Ultimately, its a matter of taste, style and frequency of use that
> determines the choice of a targeted script vs. a more general tool to
> accomplish a specific task.

Great information, Mark.  I appreciate your time and knowledge for
replying.

I agree both config_list and withlist have a lot of power.  I think
using the targeted scripts will work better for me since they are more
limited.  I also appreciate you having created some very useful scripts
for others to use.

Thanks again,
Chris