[Mailman-Users] aliases file: using globally unique user IDs (as in Sympa virtual domains)

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Mon Jul 29 18:27:22 CEST 2013

On 29/07/13 17:53, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 07/29/2013 08:35 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Migrating to Mailman, I'd like to do something like this:
>>
>>   lists.example.org-list1:
>> "|/var/lib/mailmen/lists.example.org/mail/mailman post list1"
>>
>> where I have a dedicated Mailman install under
>> /var/lib/mailmen/lists.example.org just for that domain.
>>

>> Should this all work OK with Mailman?
>
> Yes.
>

>> Will Mailman even notice that the envelope address was changed into
>> something else or does it only look at what is inside the message?
>
> I don't see that any envelope address changes, but in any case, Mailman
> doesn't look at envelope recipient. Either the message gets to Mailman
> or it doesn't. If it got there, Mailman must have been a recipient.
>
> Mailman does look for the list address in To: or Cc: if the list's
> require_explicit_destination is yes.
>

>> Is there any way to automatically create aliases like this, or any hook
>> where Mailman can call a script that I use for creating the aliases?
>
> See MTA = 'Postfix' and related settings. You may or may not need to
> hack Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py.
I've just had a look at the postfix-to-mailman.py script included with
the Debian package so I'm going to try that.  It appears that will get
me halfway to what I want, as it eliminates the need to maintain these
aliases and virtual aliases.  There is some confusion about how MTA
should be set:

and I suspect that further effort (the type of things discussed in my other email) is required to have a site list in each virtual domain.