[Mailman-Users] Bounce Processing Problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 1 22:05:35 CET 2013

On 3/1/2013 7:28 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> I have been having trouble with bounce processing. Bounced messages are being sent to the list admin (not uncaught bounces).

Please send me a complete, raw copy of one such bounce as received by
the list owner.

Note that I'm guessing based on recent off-list correspondence that
possibly your Yahoo smarthost is now rewriting the envelope sender to
your address from listname-bounces at ..., but this is only a guess.

> However, I don't seem to get rid of those bad addresses from the list.

Are you trying to remove them manually or just waiting for bounce
processing to do it. If the bounces go to you and not Mailman, Mailman
will never record then or do anything about it.

> When I ran a bounce report I got the error below so I am guessing that this may be related to the problem.

It's not related, but

> Importing get_bounce_info...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist", line 302, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist", line 270, in main
>     __import__(module)
> ImportError: No module named get_bounce_info

Did you download <http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/get_bounce_info.py> (or
<http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~msapiro/scripts/get_bounce_info.py>) and save
it as /usr/lib/mailman/bin/get_bounce_info.py?

> Null message body; hope that's ok

What does the above mean?

> What may have caused that module to disappear and could this be why bad addresses are not being removed?

It's not a Mailman module. It's one of my utility scripts. If you
actually downloaded it and saved it in the appropriate place, I don't
know why it's gone now. If you downloaded it some time ago, perhaps it
was saved in a different location.

No, this has nothing to do with bounces not being processed to remove
bouncing addresses. That is apparently because bounces are being
returned to you and mot to Mailman.