[Mailman-Users] tabs or whitespaces added at subject line

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 13 19:01:36 CET 2013

On 3/13/2013 2:33 AM, Sergio Bastian Rodríguez wrote:

> When I send an email, in subject line appear tabs or whitespaces irrespective of the position.
> Sometimes behind list prefix and other times in other position of subject line.
> The problem occur irrespective the number of characters too.

The issue almost certainly has to do with folding and unfolding of the
Subject: header. The underlying issue goes back to an ambiguity in
RFC822 over how this should be done.

The end result is some mail agents add whitespace following the new-line
when folding and some don't, and some remove whitespace following the
new-line when unfolding and some don't. These inconsistencies produce an
end result which may have more or less whitespace than the original.

There isn't much that can be done as whatever Mailman and the underlying
Python email library does, it will be 'right' for some mail clients and
'wrong' for others.