[Mailman-Users] mail from one domain (moderators') posts do not show up in pending requests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 10 06:00:09 CEST 2013

On 05/09/2013 10:03 AM, KEY5 wrote:

> The not working mail comes from another server on the internet, and arrives
> with no problem at my server, (running CentOs+cPanel)
> and it is forwarded to mailman. But after that, it disappears. (no
> occurrencies with grep domain -r *,  in none of the log/any files in
> mailman directory)

The log message you're looking for may not have the sender's
address/domain in it. Discards are logged in the vette log with the
message 'Message discarded, msgid: <message-id>'

> I thin the problem is the incoming @domain. Since I encounter the same
> problem from another.user at nonworkingdomain.com
>
> Exim log shows:
>
> 2013-05-09 17:36:47 SMTP connection from ****.****.**
> [***.***.***.***]:28571 closed by QUIT
> 2013-05-09 17:36:47 1UaStj-0002Or-DO => listname <listname at example.com>
> R=mailman_virtual_router T=mailman_virtual_transport
> 2013-05-09 17:36:47 1UaStj-0002Or-DO Completed

So exim says it delivered the mail to Mailman so presumably Mailman
discarded it.

There are a few different reason's why Mailman would do this. The only
ones that occur before the post is held for non-member or moderated
member are:

1) Post is from a moderated member and member_moderation_action is
discard (obviously not the reason here).

2) Post is from a non-member (owners and moderators are not members by
default) and the sender address matches an address or pattern in
discard_these_nonmembers.

3) Post matches a header_filter_rules rule with discard action.

4) Post matches a header/regex in the hard coded KNOWN_SPAMMERS list.

Check Privacy options... -> Sender filters -> discard_these_nonmembers
for a pattern that might match domain.

Check Privacy options... -> Spam filters -> header_filter_rules.

Check mm_cfg.py for a KNOWN_SPAMMERS list.