[Mailman-Users] approval before changing mail address

Tue May 14 14:18:55 CEST 2013

On 5/13/13 11:06 AM, Michael Probst wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope this is the right mailing list to ask this kind of questions.
>
> We run mailing lists with mailman for an organization with multiple
> groups and
> each group has its own mailing list(s). Our policy requires that
> subscriptions are
> approved by a moderator.
>
> However, we got requests from people to change their email address
> for all their subscriptions. We found that people can do so themselves
> via the web interface, but we could not find out how to let a moderator
> approve this change.
>
> Required sequence:
>
> * user changes his email address for all his subscriptions (works)
> * owner of new email address confirms (works)
> * moderator approves (not found)
>
> Is this possible with mailman and if yes what version of mailman is
> required?
>
> If not is there any way to remove this option from the member page, so
> they can still unsubscribe,
> watch the archive, etc.?
>
> Can a list adminstrator change the mail address of a user for all of his
> subscriptions at once?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michael

As to a list administrator changing the mail address of a user for all
of his subscriptions, that isn't allowed as a list administrator can
only change things relating to "his" list, so the "all subscriptions"
option is blocked for people logging in with list administrator access.

As to approving change of address requests, are you sure this is really
needed? Normally subscription approval is used to allow the list to only
go to "approved" people, so when the subscription comes in, you approve
the PERSON to receive the list, if they then chose to receive the list
at a different address, that shouldn't be an issue.

--
Richard Damon